Registered Nurses and Licensed Practical Nurses are not required to obtain continuing education for regular licensure renewal in Indiana.
Policy change would be needed to require CEU’s
You are required to develop and thoroughly analyze a public policy in order to advocate for one that improves the health of the public
and/or the nursing profession globally (local, state, national, or international). To do this, you will reflect on several aspects of being
a policy maker within the nursing position.
• Why did you select the health or nursing profession policy issue?
• How does this issue affect nursing practice, healthcare delivery, and health outcomes for individual, families, and/or communities?
• What are the values and the ethical positions that underpin your perspectives?
• What are the criteria you will use to evaluate the success (outcomes) of your proposed policy change?
By using both a top-down and a bottom-up approach, you will analyze and bring the nursing perspective to policy makers and stakeholders.
Identifying the values and ethical perspectives that underpin your position, you will develop criteria to evaluate the success of your
work. This will lead to a created a policy brief that can be sent to decision makers and created a plan to work with an
organization/community to promote policy change at the local level.
To guide you to your conclusion, using nursing research to support your position is vital. This should include principles of community-
based participatory research (CBPR).
No more than a combined total of 30% of the submission and no more than a 10% match to any one individual source can be directly quoted or
closely paraphrased from sources, even if cited correctly.
A. Prepare your reflection essay (suggested length of no more than of 3 pages) of the values and ethics of a public policy issue by:
1. Analyze a health or nursing profession public policy issue that impacts a group of people and requires a policy change.
a. Discuss why you selected this public policy issue.
Note: If you select a local policy, be sure your discussion reflects how the policy will affect more than a single unit, department, or
b. Discuss the relevance of the public policy issue to the health or the nursing profession, using two pieces of academically appropriate
literature from the last five years.
c. Describe the financial impact of the public policy on an organization or on a community.
2. Analyze how your values impact your position on the public policy issue.
a. Discuss the ethical principle (e.g., autonomy, beneficence, non-maleficence, justice) or theory that underpins your perspective.
B. Develop a policy brief (suggested length of no more than 6 pages) for the public policy issue discussed in part A in which you:
1. Identify the decision maker (name and title) who will receive the policy brief.
a. Explain why the public policy issue requires the decision maker’s attention, using relevant nursing research from the last five years to
support your position.
2. Discuss the main challenges of addressing the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss the primary options and/or interventions for the decision maker, including why they are tangible.
4. Propose a persuasive course of action for the decision maker, including ways to avoid the challenges identified in part B2.
5. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your policy brief (top-down approach).
C. Create a plan (suggested length of no more than 3 pages) for working with an organization or a community to address the public policy
issue analyzed in part A by doing:
1. Identify an organization or community that has expressed interest in your selected health or nursing profession public policy issue.
a. Summarize evidence supporting why the organization or community has expressed interest in the selected public policy issue.
2. Identify three CBPR principles you could use to work with the organization or community to address a policy change for the public policy
a. Explain how you could approach and collaborate with the organization or community.
b. Discuss how the goal of the community or organization aligns with your goal for the selected public policy issue.
c. Discuss the action steps that need to be taken to achieve your goal from part C2b.
d. Discuss the possible roles/responsibilities of the community or organization members, including problem-solving and capacity-building
e. Discuss key elements of developing a collaborative evaluation plan, using CBPR principles.
f. Discuss how you will evaluate the success of your community or organization plan (bottom-up approach).
D. Analyze (suggested length of 1 page) the strengths and challenges of the top-down and bottom-up approaches in achieving policy change(s)
to support your selected public policy issue:
1. Discuss the strengths of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
2. Discuss the challenges of each approach to implement change for the selected public policy issue.
3. Discuss which approach you would recommend as the most effective to address the issue